Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Visit to the Shrine of Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai and Indigenous Ajrak Maker of BhitShah

Travelled to Bhit Shah to pay tribute the Great Sufi Poet "Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai". Shah Abdul Latif was born around 1689 in the village of Sui-Qandar. He has written extensively on Religion, Philosophy, Tales of Distant Lands, Romance etc. His compilation of writing is called "Shah-Jo-Risalo" During my visit, I also had the opportunity to witness some of the Indigenous Folk Singers, singing tales from the famous writing of the poet. I was amazed to see the instruments used by the Folk Singers, he described to me about the working of the instrument "Tambura" and told me that it was Shah Bhittai who invented it. 

Another important reason for the Town of Bhit Shah to be famous in world map is because of Ajrak (Traditional Block Printed Shawls). To look and learn the basics of Ajrak from the Indigenous People was an unforgettable experience out of this world.  

No comments: